Dear Friends in Christ,
I know it seems as though I was just on vacation – but this journey is different. For the second part of my annual Continuing Education, I will join a Religious Press & Bloggers tour to Jordan. Hosted by the Jordan Tourism Board and Royal Jordanian Airlines, I will leave on October 6 to meet the group in NYC, and we will travel overnight and into October 7.
Feel free to follow along in your Bible as our itinerary continues!
· Saturday, October 8: From the region of Gilead (Judges 10-11), we will travel to visit the traditional site of the miracle of the swine in the region of the Gadarenes (Matthew 8:28-34).
· Sunday, October 9: Amman is the capital of modern Jordan, and home to the ancient Ammonites (Judges 10-11). One of the cities of the Decapolis (10 cities; Mark 7:31-37), it is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. Jordan is also the second-largest (after Lebanon) host of refugees in the world. We will attend worship, and meet with ministries serving in the city.
· Monday, October 10: At the end of his Exodus and exile, Moses climbed Mount Nebo to look over the Jordan and see the land that the Israelites would settle; a land that he would never enter (Deuteronomy 34).
· Tuesday, October 11: Across the plains of Moab (see Ruth), Bethany-beyond-the-Jordan is the site of John’s baptist ministry, and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, a protected wilderness. From here, Elijah was taken up to heaven in chariots of fire (2 Kings 2:1-18), and here is where the baptism of Jesus is commemorated (John 1:19-34).
· Wednesday, October 12: In the land of Edom (the land of Esau, Jacob’s twin; Genesis 36) lies the rose-red city of Petra, one of the seven wonders of the world. We will camp there overnight.
· Thursday, October 13: We will leave our desert hosts in the afternoon to travel to the Dead Sea.
· Friday, October 14: Mukawir, overlooking the Dead Sea, is the hilltop fortress where Herod Antipas had John imprisoned, until Salome and her mother schemed to have his head on a plate (Matthew 14:1-12).
· Saturday, October 15: Travel to NYC, BUF, home to Cleveland overnight in time for Sunday services.
I’ll have a slideshow presentation ready for coffee hour on October 23 to share the journey with you!